Michael Drumke – Swanson Martin & Bell
Michael focuses his practice on trials involving complex business litigation matters, including toxic tort, product liability, pharmaceutical, class action and commercial litigation. He serves as co-chair of the firm’s Cannabis Law Practice Group.
He has represented clients in Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Missouri, Michigan, Minnesota, Texas, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Alabama, Washington, Oregon, California, Mississippi, Massachusetts, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
He serves as national trial counsel for a defendant named in asbestos-related litigation across the country. He has also served as national coordinating counsel for a manufacturer defendant in asbestos-related litigation and lead counsel for several premises owners named in toxic tort litigation in the Midwest. He has authored articles and given presentations nationally on the subjects of recent developments in toxic tort law, class actions, environmental litigation, insurance coverage issues, trial techniques and cannabis law.
Michael has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Defendants. He has been recognized as one of the Top 10 Leading Class Action/Mass Tort Defense Lawyers in Illinois by the Leading Lawyers Network. He has been named an Illinois Super Lawyer in the areas of Class Action / Mass Torts and Business Litigation. Michael is Peer Review Rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell.
Michael currently serves as a Governor on the American Bar Association (ABA) Board of Governors. He has been a member of the ABA House of Delegates since 2015. He is a Past Chair of the ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section and of the ABA Section Officers Conference.
- Drumke Speaks at INCBA Cannabis Law Institute, Joins Board of Advisors
- Drumke Named to Top 200 Cannabis Lawyers List
The list features cannabis legal professionals from jurisdictions around the world and is designed to give direct access to experienced cannabis/hemp legal experts.
- Drumke Speaks on Ethics at INCBA Cannabis Law Sessions
Drumke will speak on “Ethics – Rule 1.2 – The Novel “Also Advise” Provision Relating to Federal Law.”
- Drumke Quoted in Business Insider on Law Firm Cannabis Clients
Complex legal questions have increased as the cannabis industry as ballooned into a $56 billion market.
- Drumke Co-Authors ABA Resolutions Protecting Lawyers, Banks From Liability for Representing Marijuana Businesses
Both resolutions were passed overwhelmingly.
- Drumke Profiled in “Law Firm Leaders” Article for Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
Drumke serves as chair of the American Bar Association’s Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section Cannabis Law and Policy Committee chair.
- Drumke Appointed Chair of ABA Cannabis Committee, Named Co-Chair of ABA Cannabis Program
He will also moderate an ethics panel at the program titled, “Ethics – Keeping Your License AND Your Cannabis Clients.”
- Named as one of the Top 10 Leading Class Action/Mass Tort Defense Lawyers in Illinois by Leading Lawyers Network
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants, 2015–present
- Peer Review Rated “A/V Preeminent,” Martindale-Hubbell, 2008–present
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers in Class Action/Mass Tort, 2007–present
- “Bill of Rights in Action Award,” Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago, 2008
- “Law and Public Service Honor Roll,” Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association, 2004–2005
- “Innovative Excellence in National CLE Programming Award,” American Bar Association Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, 2003-2004
- “40 Illinois Attorneys Under 40 to Watch,” Chicago Lawyer and Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 2001
- Life Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association
- Named to Global Top 200 Cannabis Lawyers, 2020-2021+
- “Cannabis: Legal and Business Issues Abound in a Growing Industry,” TortSource (Fall 2018)
- “A HIPAA Primer,” 37 The Brief 3 (Spring 2008)
- Co-Author, “Recent Developments in Toxic Tort and Environmental Law,” 40 Tort & Insurance Law Journal 810 (2005)
- Co-Author, “Declaratory Relief,” Illinois Civil Practice, Vol. II, Ch. 5, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (1997 & Supplement 2000)
- Co-Author, “Recent Developments in Toxic Tort Law,” 33 Tort & Insurance Law Journal 711 (Winter 1998)
- Co-Author, “Recent Developments in Toxic Tort Law,” 32 Tort & Insurance Law Journal 635 (Winter 1997)
Address & Contacts
330 N. Wabash Suite 3300 Chicago, Illinois 60611