Kai has been a business and corporate lawyer in Germany since 2003, gaining wide range of experiences in the process. He is very familiar with the interconnectivity between national and European regulations, especially in regard to consumer protection, product safety and emerging new cannabis products. He has engaged in advocacy relating to cannabis beginning in early stages of his studies at Philipps University Marburg when the German Supreme Court ruled that small amounts of cannabis should not be criminalized.
After medical cannabis was legalized, Kai started a legal blog (canna-biz.legal) on all the relevant new developments in the emerging cannabis market and became a legal expert especially for CBD products. He regularly speaks at international cannabis conferences on topics of the German and European legal framework, lastly, at the GIF and CB Expo 2021 in Zurich, at the Cannabis Expo in Johannesburg and at the ICBC Barcelona and Berlin on the legal framework for a future recreational cannabis market in Germany. He regularly publishes articles in BusinessCann, Krautinvest and German law journals. Kai and his law firm KFN+ advise major CBD and medical cannabis companies, as well as companies interested in the emerging recreational cannabis market in Germany.
Kai is also legal advisor to the European Industrial Hemp Association (EIHA), which is working on a Novel Food joint application for different CBD products.
- The Recreational THC Report for Germany 2021
- Do we really need a thc limit in cannabis products
- Legalization and licensing the next challenge in the cannabis debate
- Die Verkehrsfähigkeit von hanfhaltigen Lebensmitteln, Nutzhanfblüten und Nutzhanfblättern im Lichte der neueren Rechtsprechung des EuGHs – Zeitschrift für Lebensmittelrecht (ZLR), Niermann/Schulte, ZLR 2021, 336-353
- Germany needs workable adult use legislation capable of drying up the illicit market
- Cannabis ist längst Teil des Alltags – die Kriminalisierung muss weg – Kai-Friedrich Niermann und Burkhard Blienert in „Welt“, 25.10.2022
- German Bar Association (DAV)
- International Cannabis Bar Association (INCBA, Member of Advisory Board)
- European Industrial Hemp Association (EIHA)
- German Hemp Association (DHV)
- Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP Deutschland, Board Member)
- Branchenverband Cannabiswirtschaft (BvCW)