Jonathan previously led the corporate department at Hanson Bridgett and founded and led Hanson Bridgett’s sustainable law practice, which focuses on developing a more sustainable economy by assisting mission driven companies and high impact investors in a variety of industries. He represents entities and their investors in connection with business and intellectual property transactions, including formation, finance, contracts, licenses, joint venture and development, mergers and acquisitions, licensing, e-commerce, technology-related matters and general corporate law. Jonathan also represents many non-profit charities, foundations, and business associations.
Jonathan leads the firm’s Cannabis Law practice, and since California’s legalization of marijuana in 2018 has worked with cannabis companies and their investors in connection with business transactions, including formation, local and state licensing, finance, contracts, licenses, joint venture and development, mergers and acquisitions, licensing, e-commerce, technology-related matters and general corporate law. Jonathan recently represented cannabis companies in large financing and M&A transactions that include publicly traded companies from Canada.
Jonathan chaired the legal working group which drafted and advocated for benefit corporation legislation in California. A benefit corporation is a new class of for profit corporation and the first that is required to create a material positive impact on society and the environment and to meet higher standards of accountability and transparency in addition to creating shareholder value. He was selected as the California Lawyer Attorney of the Year for his work on this legislation which is now the law in 36 states and several foreign countries. He is proud that Hanson Bridgett is the first law firm to become a certified B corporation. Hanson Bridgett has received the Top 100 companies Impact Award from Real Leaders for its efforts in creating a purpose-driven company as part of Jonathan’s work. See http://benefitcorp.net/ and http://www.bcorporation.net for more information about benefit corporations.
- Represented Project Cannabis, a vertically integrated cannabis company, in $69,000,000 sale to a Columbia Care, a Canadian public company. Press: “Columbia Care Acquires California’s Project Cannabis,” Cannabis Business Times (December 2020)
- Advised MM Acquisition Co in an California based asset sale to DionyMed Brands, Inc. Press: “DionyMed Acquires California Cannabis Company Through REIT Transaction,” Cannabis Dispensary(August 2019)
- “Longtime Marin County Cannabis Advocate Looks Back on Legacy of California Legalization,” North Bay Business Times(November 2021)
- “What’s the Difference Between a B Corp and a Benefit Corporation?,” SOCAP Global (April 2021)
- “B Corp Makes Good Business Sense,” Benefit Corporations Article (March 2021)
- “COVID-19 Legislation: New Paycheck Protection Program Loan Rules Allow Second Round Funding and Deductibility of Expenses Paid with Forgivable Loan Proceeds,” Business Disruption Strategies Law Alert (January 2021)