Elliott is a leading member of the fast-growing, award-winning Cannabis Law team at Mackrell.Solicitors Having previously worked in a regulatory role as a solicitor for a major investment banking institution, Elliott has a strong background advising on a range of complex legal issues.
Having acted for various banks, Elliott is experienced in liaising with multi-national civil and criminal regulators in a variety of contexts and advising on a broad range of EU and international regulations.
Before joining the world of banking, Elliott worked as a specialist litigation paralegal at a ‘Magic Circle’ law firm.
Elliott is keenly interested in drug policy reform and regulation, and is a long time supporting community member of the organisation DrugScience – the leading independent scientific body on drugs in the UK.
Elliott holds a Certificate in Medical Cannabis from the University of Colorado, completed an undergraduate degree in Philosophy and Psychology at the University of Kent, and holds a Diploma in Law and a Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice.
He is part of the firm’s stated intent to be at the forefront of legal developments in medicinal cannabis and other psychoactive substances, so that he can provide clients with advice on these emerging areas of law.
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England & Wales
Awards and accreditation
- Global Law Experts – Medical Cannabis
- Spear’s 500 – Distinguished Individual
- Global Top 200 Cannabis Lawyers (Cannabis Law Reports)
- Lawyer Monthly – Medical Cannabis – Where are we now?
- Cannabis Confusion: Wellness vs Medical with Professor Mike Barnes
- Cannabis Legalisation News – Is Cannabis Legal in the UK?
- Positive Outlooks for the Cannabis Sector
- Acting for the world’s largest cannabis trades body on a Novel Foods issue, including representation during live negotiations with the Food Standards Agency.
- Making representations to the Veterinary Medicines Directorate on behalf of an international pet food brand, resulting in no further enforcement action being taken.
- Making representations to the DVLA on behalf of a medical cannabis patient, resulting in restoration of driving entitlements (originally suspended for cannabis use)
- Application for a high THC (Controlled Drugs) cultivation licence for a medical cannabis start-up
- Negotiating with Trading Standards on behalf of a CBD foods company, to limit enforcement action, following breaches of various regulations.
- Providing regulatory advice to a global CBD brand on the legality of their UK operations
- Engaging with the UK Border Force for restoration of seized goods