Forbes Magazine dubbed Chelsie Spencer the “rare friendly face in the midst of a cutthroat CBD hurricane, the person you want on speed dial when things turn sour” for her work in the cannabidiol (CBD) industry. As head of the cannabis practice at Ritter Spencer PLLC, Chelsie represents clients in every facet of the cannabis and hemp industries, including dispensaries, growers, processors, manufacturers, retailers, and more for their business needs. Her transactional practice focuses on licensing, regulatory compliance, and other business matters. She frequently writes, speaks, and presents on issues affecting the cannabis industry at conferences and forums across the United States.
In addition to her representation of cannabis clients, Chelsie is an experienced trademark attorney. She has successfully secured registration of numerous federal trademarks for her clients and manages worldwide trademark portfolios. Her trademark practice also encompasses transactional issues such as trademark licensing, consent and coexistence agreements, and assignments. Chelsie is nationally recognized for her trademark work with cannabis clients across the United States.
Chelsie has been recognized as a Super Lawyer in the Cannabis practice area by Thomson Reuters and has been awarded the Client Champion distinction by Martindale-Hubbell. She is President of the Texas Hemp Legal Fund, serves as Chair of the International Cannabis Bar Association’s Amicus Committee, and serves as Vice President on the Board of Directors for the Texas Cannabis Council. She has helped draft cannabis legislation at both the federal and state levels and routinely advises state legislatures in regard to crafting effective cannabis policies.
- Northern District of Texas
- Eastern District of Texas
- Southern District of Florida
- Court of Federal Claims
Representative Articles & Presentations
- State Trademark Strategies for Cannabis and Hemp Operators, Cannabis Interest Group (California Lawyers Association), October 12, 2022
- Cannabiz Startup Challenges and Compliances; Dallas Startup Week August 10, 2022
- Featured in Forbes’ Meet the Fearless Lawyer Saving the CBD Industry.
- Cannabis Impact Litigation, International Cannabis Bar Association March 11, 2021
- Protecting Intellectual Property in the Cannabis Industry, Financial Poise March 25, 2020
- Cannabidiol: The Disjointed Stance at the USPTO Continues. Tipsheet Vol. 13, No. 4 (2019)
- Cannabidiol: The Disjointed Stance on the Cannabinoid at the USPTO. TipSheet Volume 13, No. 1 (2018)
- CBD & Hemp Regulations, CLE Presenter, Dallas Bar Association Science and Technology Section (2019)
- Top Ten Things Corporate Counsel Need to Know About Cannabis and Hemp, CLE Presenter, Collin County Bar Association Corporate Counsel Section (2019).